A sample of Boaz' speech
NRSV Ruth 2:8-9 (punctuation added).
Then Boaz said to Ruth:
- "Now listen, my daughter,
- do not go to glean in another field
leave this one,
- but keep close to my young
- Keep your eyes on the field that
is being reaped,
follow behind them.
- I have ordered the young men
not to bother you.
- If you get thirsty, go to
drink from what the young men have drawn.
Notice how his "or leave this one" adds nothing, and
listen to the slightly fussy and pompous tone.
© Dr Tim Bulkeley, 2004.
You may quote and use these study notes, subject to the usual
provsions of fair use - like giving proper credit e.g.
Tim Bulkeley, "Ruth: Genre" in Study Notes on Ruth http://www.hypertextbible.org/ruth/genre.htm
[downloaded today's date].
If you want to reproduce large sections you should contact Tim.
(tim at bible.gen.nz)
- Tim teaches Hebrew Bible (First or Old Testament) at the University of Auckland, New Zealand and at Carey Baptist College his other sites include:
- Amos - Postmodern Bible commentary
- Study Notes on Jonah
- Images of Archaeological Sites
in Israel (Focusing on the Iron Age)