Characteristics of Naomi mentioned in the text
- wife of Elimelek: 1:2; 2:1
- widow: 1:3 (thus proprietor of a field 4:3,5; as head of the family:
mother of two sons: 1:2
"mother" of Ruth's son: 4:16-17
- her life is "bitter: 1:13,20-21
advisor to Ruth: 2:2,19-22; 3:1-4,16-18
- mindful of her daughters-in-law's well being: 1:8-9,11-13,15
- well-known in Bethlehem: 1:19; 2:6
- greeted by the "women of Bethlehem": 4:14-15
© Dr Tim Bulkeley, 2004.
You may quote and use these study notes, subject to the usual
provsions of fair use - like giving proper credit e.g.
Tim Bulkeley, "Ruth: Genre" in Study Notes on Ruth http://www.hypertextbible.org/ruth/genre.htm
[downloaded today's date].
If you want to reproduce large sections you should contact Tim.
(tim at bible.gen.nz)
- Tim teaches Hebrew Bible (First or Old Testament) at the University of Auckland, New Zealand and at Carey Baptist College his other sites include:
- Amos - Postmodern Bible commentary
- Study Notes on Jonah
- Images of Archaeological Sites
in Israel (Focusing on the Iron Age)